“Doesn’t New York Just Turn You Inside Out?”

, by Unknown


Hello guys, I hope you are all well! Today I am sitting in the best seat in this café (a squishy chair near both a window and an outlet) feeling very much in love with my life. This is not always the case, but I’m afraid I have come down with New-York-in-the-fall-syndrome where I cannot help but be cheerful. Even Tom Hanks in ‘You’ve Got Mail’ suffered from this: “Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.” I went for a run this morning in Riverside Park (another ‘You’ve Got Mail’ connection) and I was quite overwhelmed by the crisp air, changing leaves and unique beauty that Manhattan holds.


It felt nice to have a quite morning after the chaos that was New York Comic Con this past weekend. This year’s convention was surprisingly different than previous years due to the lack of major booths and panels. Marvel had a very low-key booth compared to last year’s Helicarrier set up and San Diego Comic Con’s Iron Man 3 display this past summer. There were hardly any major panels either, just ‘The Walking Dead’, ‘Evil Dead’, ‘Carrie’ and ‘Firefly’. Marvel even did not have their big Saturday night panel, which is disappointing considering how impressive their footage shown at SDCC was. 



However, the people I saw at Comic Con more than made up for the lack of entertainment. I was able to spend most of Wednesday with Stephanie (@hellocookie) showing her Canadian self around New York City for her first time! We both enjoy the television show ‘Smash’ so I stalked the Internet and found out the crew was filming that day at the Flatiron building. Stephanie and I were able to watch Megan Hilty, as her character Ivy, film a scene. After the stalking I took her to Tiffany’s, FAO Schwarz (where we danced on the Big Piano with little kids), the New York Public Library and the stunning Disney Store in Times Square! We admittedly spent way too much money at the Disney Store hahahaha. Steph is an adorable and brilliant person to hang out with and I suggest you follow her immediately.


That night Pietro and I went to the Hasbro cocktail party where they showcased their new toys. Free drinks named after Avengers characters and delicious food complimented our perfect company: Rick and Jessica Marshall (@rickmarshall and @Jess_on_ice). Rick is my favorite journalist in this industry and Jess is complete sweetheart who quotes ‘Lord of the Rings’.  After the Hasbro party Pietro and I met up with Stephanie and her boss Bill (@BillWillingham) at the Assassin’s Creed party thrown by our dear friend Stone (@GreatWallofChin). There we took silly pictures as the game characters and hung out with some famous rapper named Prodigy in the VIP room.  It was interesting to say the least. 


The rest of the weekend went by in a flash but highlights include the Aliens party Friday night Pietro and I attended and then breakfast Sunday morning with my favorite #Fukamush crew! I spent the rest of Sunday hanging out with this marvelous group of people from all over the world and running into people I hadn’t seen in a long time. Since I never do a #FollowFriday I’ll mention them all here and you can follow at will, but I highly recommend them all: Lindsey (@tokyoacid) Sebastian (@LindsaysFaveMex) Jessy, (@H3artlessSeph) Annerys (@annerys_dc) Daniel (@Darkflight) Gregg ( @GreggTurek), Hyo (@yuidiot) Andrew (@blackdieseluk) Andrew (@BigAxC) and Miranda (@theneonindian).

Last week I also managed to squeeze in a few job interviews, but they were all at start up companies and I turned them down. Some people find that environment challenging and exciting but I prefer a more structured company so I’m looking into other options. I also STILL DO NOT HAVE A FRIDGE. Oh New York.

Matter of business: Congratulations to Justin (@Jaydee_yo) for winning a copy of 'Perks of Being a Wallflower' in my blog contest! Your book will be shipped out this afternoon! Come back to tomorrow to another book contest =D Speaking of books....

I finished reading ‘Rules of Civility’ by Amor Towles that I mentioned in my last blog post and I cannot recommend it enough. This novel turned out to be different than I what was expecting, but in a good way. It’s full of love, though not romance, human interaction and most of all: stunning New York. The books I enjoy most are ones that use this city as a character, and I never can get enough of them.

The title of this blog post is a quote from the book, one of many that I underlined while reading. This novel was full of moments and lines that struck me, however one in particular stood out:

“To even have one year when you’re presented with choices that can alter your circumstances, your character, your course- that’s by God alone. And it shouldn’t come without a price.”

That line struck a chord within me. This year my life has changed drastically, full of the very best circumstances and many not good ones. Often I have found myself focusing on the low points instead of the positive ones. And then I read that line. “And it shouldn’t come without a price.” How painfully true is that? My life has changed for the better tens times over, but shouldn’t it come with price? By god shouldn’t I have to pay a debt in return for having my dreams come true? For then all of this will be worth that much more.

And that is what I will leave you with today. Think of your hardships and your difficulties and wonder, isn’t your happiness worth this price?



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of good fun. Kudos to you!

    I actually enjoyed the fact that NYCC didn't have a lot of major panels. This may be just me, but I like that most of the Hollywood stuff stays in San Diego. I've seen that con take away a lot of the emphasis on the "Comic" part of that con. To have NYCC focus a lot more on the actual comics (amidst other mediums like action figures and statues) tells me we haven't forgotten the source material that makes all of those movies, TV shows, and video games possible.

    And good luck on the job search. Start-ups can be intimidating, but the rewards can be great if they grow properly (especially if you have stock options).

    ReplyDelete