Reflections on Kevin Smith Show, SHAME Review, Misadventures, and Beauty & The Beast in 3D!

, by Unknown

It has been a pretty busy couple of days for me! I am both proud and saddened by the internet's response to Kevin Smith's upcoming reality show since I last posted. As a woman, yes, I do  believe that by calling a series "Comic Book Men" it would spark a lot of pissed off females in the industry to speak out. But I also know that Kevin Smith himself does not have the majority  say in these decisions as the production company makes all these choices. Obviously a new direction was taken from the project I was attached to, but not to maliciously exclude people. I also did not take it personally that they left my planned involvement out of the show. I wholeheartedly believe that things worked out best for everyone who participated in getting this show green lit and aired. I was and still am thankful and excited to meet everyone (and skype with Jason Mewes).

In other news, I'm still currently on winter break and I don't go back to my bookstore job or classes until next week. Over break I've mostly just cleaned out my room, spent my days in the city and watched a ridiculous amount of How I Met Your Mother. I had never seen the show before but have heard so many amazing things about it I figured I'd give it a try. I immediately became addicted. I'm already on season 5 and its easily one of the best shows I have ever seen. The first six seasons are streaming on Netflix, and I highly recommend giving it a shot

This past Friday I had my normal day in Manhattan, getting errands done and working on a few things. At night I finally saw SHAME, which was as remarkable and haunting as everyone hyped it up to be. However, those of you who expect a smut-fest or a lot of tantalizing sex scenes (since it's an NC-17 rated film) will be extremely disappointed. There are not that many sex scenes nor are the ones included engaging . If anything, they are uncomfortable and make you incredibly depressed. I do ask that if you go see it in a theater, be respectful of the people around you and don't laugh during purposefully awkward moments because you are immature. Silently watch and become engrossed in this heart breaking film. 

Michael Fassbender's character will stay with you long after the movie is over. He becomes every person you sit across on the subway, or that stranger you just bumped into on the sidewalk. I hope that more people see this film, for Fassbdener's incredible performance alone.

Friday night (post SHAME) was a full chaotic mess, as those of you who follow me on Twitter already know. It was my parent's anniversary and I wanted to bring them home some dumplings from Rickshaw. It's my favorite resturaunt in the city and my parents are always complaining about not being able to have it as much as I do. However, these dumplings caused me a world of trouble

Then I got on the wrong train home. First and foremost: I have never gotten on the wrong train before. I may be horrible with bicycles and I never learned how to drive (because I'm terrified of cars) but I can navigate trains and the subway system better than anybody with a driver's license. This was the first time in my life that I got on the wrong train. I ended up somewhere in rural New Jersey (kill me) and got off at a station called South Orange. Quickly I figured out where I was and hopped on the next train back to New York.

Seacaucus Station
I ended up switching at a station right before New York called Seacaucus, which was surprinsgly very beautiful. My parents were worried my unplanned detour. But in all honesty I wasn't really lost, just mixed up. All for these dumplings. I warned my mom over and over on the phone that she'd better tell me these were the best dumplings she had EVER had.

Three hours after I originally started out, I was on the proper train back home. It was then Pietro sent me a text saying he was in the ambulance because he wasn't feeling well. Alright universe, check mate. Long story short he was fine, just a few things we will have to deal with in the future. I got home around midnight, then which my mom asked me of I could dye my little sister's hair. Oh why not.

Saturday morning I was back in the city bright and early for the NYC press screening of Beauty & the Beast 3D which also included the new short Tangled Ever After. You can read my review of it HERE. Let's just say I laughed like a five year old through Tangled and cried buckets and buckets during all of Beauty & the Beast. Pietro was even able to talk to someone to let me take one of their enormous hardback posters home! We ate lunch in Central Park after the screening, and things like this happened <---


Sunday I spent all day working on a new project and watching way too many episodes of HIMYM. Today (Monday) I am sitting in the PR office for a new movie "Don't Go Into The Woods". This company represents talent such as Ethan Hawke, Sean Penn, Christina Ricci and Stephen Colbert. However, I am also sitting under a large, beautiful photo of Portia de Rossi, one of my favorite actresses and personal role model. She is on my list of people I would love to meet 

Note to self, make up that actual list some time in the next few days.

I only have one week left of break before my hardest and last semester of college. I plan on using this week to sleep, work out, apply for jobs and write. 

So that's life on my end lately, I hope you all are doing well and enjoying your new year!
-Tootles

0 comments:

Post a Comment